Restore content from SharePoint’s recycle bin in Microsoft 365 or SharePoint Server – You may restore both your own and other users’ deleted stuff (as long as you have edit permissions). Note: Organizations that have opted into the First Release program receive a staggered rollout of some capabilities.
- Visit the SharePoint site from which the items were removed. (In Microsoft Teams, pick More > Open in SharePoint from the Files tab at the top of your channel.)
- Click Recycle bin on the Quick Launch bar at the bottom left of the screen. Follow these procedures if you don’t see the Recycle bin on the Quick Launch bar:
- Click Settings followed by Site content.
- The recycling bin is located in the upper right-hand corner of the Site Contents page.
- Note: If SharePoint Server 2016 or 2013 does not display a recycling bin, the recycle bin may have been deactivated. Contact the administrator of your farm or server. Administrators should review Configure SharePoint Recycle Bin Settings.
- Click the box to the left of the objects or files you wish to restore on the Recycle bin screen.
- Select Restore.
Note: If the item you’re looking for is missing and it was recently removed, a site collection administrator may be able to recover it from the recycle bin. If you are the administrator of a site collection, visit Restore things from the recycle bin of the site collection.
When an object is restored, it is placed back in the same spot from where it was removed. Deleted articles are stored in the recycling bin for a certain amount of time. SharePoint’s retention period is 93 days. It begins when the object is removed from its initial position. When an item is deleted from the site’s recycling bin, it is transferred to the site collection’s recycle bin.
It remains there for the remaining 93 days before being erased completely. If its parent has not been removed, you can restore a list, list item, library, file, or version of a file to its original place. For instance, you cannot restore a file version if the original file has been destroyed.
Because deleting a file deletes all versions of the file, this is the case. Similarly, if the library to which a file belongs has been erased, it cannot be restored. The file must be restored to the library after the library has been restored. When restoring a library, every file it includes is likewise restored.
Additionally, when you restore an item that was previously placed in a destroyed folder, the folder is rebuilt in its original position and the item is restored within the folder. However, not all of the folder’s contents are recovered. If a file or folder already exists at the original location, the restored item will have a number attached to the end of the file name.
How do I recover a deleted SharePoint site?
- Sign in to Office 365 first.
- Using the application launcher, locate SharePoint and click on it.
- Click on “My Sites” in the menu on the left, represented by a globe icon.
- Find the website whose homepage is missing and click on it.
- Select ‘Pages’.
- Select “New” > “Site page”
- Use the Windows key plus the letter I to launch the Settings app.
- Select Personalization > Themes from the menu.
- Scroll down to the Related Settings area on the right and click the ‘Desktop icon settings’ option.
- Select the checkbox next to the Recycle Bin icon you wish to display on your desktop, and then click the OK button.
How can a deleted Recycle Bin be recovered?
Frequently Asked Questions – They’re useless! Windows just designates the space they occupy as free, enabling other files to be put there. You can restore the original files till they are overwritten with any competent data recovery program. If you are unable to find the Recycle Bin icon, you can use the following techniques to make it visible again.
- Click the Start button and then Settings, or right-click the desktop and select Personalize.
- Choose Personalization > Themes > Settings for Desktop Icons.
- Select the checkbox next to Recycle Bin and click
Method 2 – Turn Tablet Mode off in Windows 10.
- Open Start > Settings > System > Tablet > Modify further tablet settings.
- Deactivate the settings labeled Conceal app icons on the taskbar and Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode.
Method 3: Create a shortcut to the Recycle Bin
- In File Explorer, pick the C: drive.
- Click the View tab, followed by the Settings option.
- Select Change search and folder options.
- Ensure that the item labeled Hide protected operating system files is not checked. Uncheck if it is checked.
- Select the option to see hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Return to File Explorer and remove the $RECYCLE.BIN folder.
- A new Recycle Bin will emerge, and an icon will be placed on your desktop.
To restore files using the Windows 10 Recycle Bin, follow these steps:
- To access the Recycle Bin, double-click its icon.
- Find the things you wish to retrieve.
- Mark the boxes corresponding to the files and folders you wish to recover.
- To restore things to their original positions, right-click and select Restore.
Additionally, you may drag files from the Recycle Bin to another place. The macOS Trash Bin corresponds to the Windows Recycle Bin. Only third-party data recovery software packages can retrieve files that have been removed from the Trash. One such program is Disk Drill for Mac, which operates as follows:
- Download, install, and launch Disk Drill for Mac on a disk or partition other than the one containing the Trash Bin.
- Select the disk containing the Trash Bin.
- To begin searching for lost data, click the Search for missing data button.
- Preview the recoverable files and then make your selections.
- After selecting a new destination for the data on a separate disk than the Trash Bin, click Recover.
You must use data recovery software to retrieve permanently deleted files from the Recycle Bin. The program can still access the data if the original files have not been overwritten. Emptying the recycle bin deletes files from your system only conceptually; they remain physically on the disk until they are replaced by fresh data.
- Download and install the free data recovery program Disk Drill.
- Launch the application and select the recoverable file type.
- Choose the disk that contains the Recycle Bin.
- To begin searching for missing data, click Search for lost data.
- Select the recoverable files and click Recover to restore them.
The maximum size of the Recycle Bin is adjusted automatically based on the capacity of your storage device. When attempting to remove a file that is larger than the maximum size of the Discard Bin, you will receive the notice “This folder is too large to recycle” and be given the option to permanently delete it.